The Temple of Literature is two works were built to teach and worship Confucius and ancient scholars of Confucian scholars. Temple was built in 1070 under King Ly Thanh Tong, and Temple of Literature was built in 1076, under King Ly Nhan Tong.
This is a work built to promote the spirit of learning the people as well as seeking talent for the country. After being built, studying in Temple of Literature began in 1076.
Temple of Literature is a beautiful tourist destination in Hanoi, located in the south of Thang Long royal citadel, in an area of 55.027m 2, divided into 5 separate areas according to each zone. The Van Mieu Temple of Literature archaeological complex from the entrance is the Temple of Literature, the Great Wall, the Khue Van Cac, Dai Thanh, and the Thai Temple.
The first area from the main temple gate to the Great Gate. The two right-hand sides of the Great Gate has two small doors, the door is called Thanh Duc (became a virtuous person), on the right called Dat Tai (become talented).
Dai Trung Mon Gate was built in 3-story architecture on the high brick, tile roof, the middle of which hung a small sign of the three words Dai Trung Mon.
The second area from Greater Japan to Khue Van Cac - an architectural representation of Vietnamese literature and education. Khue Van Cau was built in 1805 with wooden architecture taking the image of Shining star.
In order to portray the image of the star, the four sides of the Khue Van Vien shaped four circular windows with their beams radiating from the sides of the sun.
The third area consists of large square-shaped wells of Thien Quang, creating harmonious harmony for the whole Van Mieu Temple of Literature relic and two rows of doctoral beer.
Each row has 41 beers, a stone inscription on a turtle symbolizes immortality. 82 stone steles symbolize the people who have ever achieved the title in Temple of Literature, the most valuable artifact symbolizes the fondness of the Vietnamese people through 82 examinations.
The fourth courtyard is bordered on either side by great pavilions which once contained alters of 72 of Confucius greatest students but which now contain offices, a gift shop and a small museum which contains ink wells, pens, books and personal artifacts belonging to some of the students that have studied here through the years.
At the far end of the courtyard is the altar with statues of Confucius and his four closest disciples. The fifth courtyard contained the Quoc Tu Giam, Vietnam's first university founded in 1076 King Ly Can Duc, but this was destroyed by French bombing in 1947 and the Thai School, where the training of the talents for the court.
Though having gone through lots of restoration work, the temple still retains its very first original shape, to be one of the visit-worthy sightseeings of Hanoi, captivating to a huge number of tourists elsewhere.
Opening Hours: every day
In summer (15/4-15/10): 7:30-18:00
Other season: 8:00-17:00
Address: 58 Quoc Tu Giam, Van Mieu, Dong Da, Hanoi
Price Range: 30.000VND/ 15.000 VND for student and the older (>60 years old)